Monday, November 9, 2009

Ender's Game

Ender's Game
Orson Scott Card

It feels like everyone and their mother has recommended this book to me. Apparently there are film adaptations of this book, multiple sequels, and I know for a fact that there are comic adaptations (I used to work at a comic shop). So when a friend literally hands me his copy and tells me to read it, who am I to say no? I gave in, and read it.

To be honest, I did not care for it. You cannot connect to the main character. "Oh poor you, you've spent your entire childhood as a guinea pig, a rat in a maze, how terrible, but I cannot seem to muster up any empathy for you whatsoever."

The book does not get at all interesting until nearly the end when people finally begin discussing what the Buggers are actually all about. They have spent the entire book preparing for the next Bugger war, and no one has seen fit to actually describe a bugger or explain anything about them. I suppose this is to build up suspense or a sense of mystery but in a book that centers around events set in place by an alien invasion, I would like someone to start talking about said aliens sometime before page 270.

I don't plan on reading the sequels to this book, though I've heard they are better. Though I think its weird when a book is worse than its own sequel.

-An aquired taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment