Thursday, November 12, 2009

The City of Ember

The City of Ember
Jeanne DuPrau

There is a Blockbuster video that is closing nearby. While going through their stacks of dvd's for sale, I found an interesting looking movie, apparently based on a book of the same title, The City of Ember. I usually hate to see a movie based on a book without first reading the book, so I added it to my list of books to pick up (the list is long). I stumbled over it at my local used book store, and set to reading.

The story sounded interesting, a sort of a post-apocalyptic setting about a strange underground city where supplies are running out and the infrastructure is breaking down. Now I am a complete nut for everything post-apocalyptic. So even though this one is a book written for 'young-adults' (which is such a bizarre appellation), since the setting is after some unnamed catastrophe, I still enjoyed it.

That the catastrophe remains unnamed and un-described, even completely un-hinted at until the very end is somewhat irritating. I like to know at least something about the events that set in motion the plot of a story. Apparently we may learn about this in a prequel I havent yet read, however.

All in all, it was an entertaining book. The mystery that the main character finds herself embroiled in is actually interesting. The setting, though familiar to the characters, leaves the reader asking some questions about it, and certainly about it's origins, which are taken for granted by citizens of Ember. The fact that this is a book written for younger readers does make it a light and easy read, so don't expect to lose yourself for a weekend in it.

-Tasty, but not filling

No comments:

Post a Comment