Thursday, January 14, 2010

Frostbite


Frostbite
David Welllington

I'd actually seen this one at the bookstore and avoided it for some time. Something about the cover, something about the addition of "a werewolf tale" after the title, which I felt unnecessary, something about the synopsis on the back, a combination of the three made me shy away. I know I can be picky, but it made it seem like your typical scary "there's a werewolf out to get me" kinda novel. Eventually I relented and bought the book, and I have not regretted it.

The author introduces us into the present, leaving us wondering about the past, before that is introduced in part two. This leaves you wondering about the motives, not of the monster, but the woman alone in the woods, which was interesting. Why did she come to be alone in the woods? What is she doing here? The author hints, but never reveals until things start to fall apart for the characters. It soon becomes apparent that everyone is not what they seem. The lines between the good guys and bad guys blurs. The humans become monstrous and the monsters humanized.

Towards the end, the main character still has unresolved problems, but I was left very satisfied. I even came close to having the warm and fuzzies over the ending. This book finishes off leaving me feeling hopeful for the characters. I really enjoyed reading this book and I've already handed it off to a friend, after I demanded that he read it.

-Pretty darn tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment